Monday, March 12, 2018

Creating with Elements by Laura!

Hi there, it's Laura back again with another photo tutorial to share with you!  This is my third layout using the March main kit and I am so loving the process of creating with these gorgeous elements!


I will start off by sharing the finished layout, so you have a better visual of where I  am heading as I take you through my process.


I thought this label piece with the rose gold trim, from the cut apart sheet, was so pretty so I fussy cut it out to use in my focal area.


I will decide to only use half of it and conserve the other half for another page.  It is just too pretty to waste putting it so far behind the photo where you cannot see it.


These two elements are going to form the main focal area of my layout, to which I will add embellishments and a title, as well as my journaling.


I decided to add a bit of mixed media to my background so I applied a few pencil lines around my photo and journaling area so I would know exactly where to add in the mixed media. You can't really go back and erase the pencil lines so you want to be sure to add them where you can later hide them,.


For my main colour I am using a soft teal Gelato from my stash. I will scribble it around my focal area. 


Next I will use a wet baby wipe to blend it.  This works really well and means I do not need to add Gesso to my page first since it really is such a minimal amount of liquid.  I was mindful to feather the colour outward so that it became lighter as it got farther away from my photo.


I love the way it turned out.  I also really like that it is easy, not messy and pretty much keeps the mixed media to only where you want it on the layout!


Next I added some splatters of black and gold mist. Because I am adding it before adding in any of my page elements, I could be pretty heavy handed with it since some of it will be covered up anyway.


While waiting for my mists to dry, I played around with some fussy cut flowers and a cute die cut bike to embellish my picture.


I committed to these pieces once my background was dry and adhered them into place.


I also brought in a phrase sticker and two ephemera pieces, the word "fab" will become part of my title.


I completed my title with some of the Thickers from the kit, and added
in my journaling and stamped my date with a roller stamp from my stash.





I also tucked in a couple more fussy cut flowers, a chipboard butterfly and a button from the kit. I usually use crochet thread in my buttons as it is super economical and I always have it on hand.


My finishing touch was to add in a diagonal cut header and footer to my page, I also added some machine stitching to these pieces. Here is another look at my layout all complete!

Supply List - From the Kit; Simple Stories patterned paper, ephemera,chipboard and stickers; American Crafts Thickers; Pebbles buttons. From my stash: Gelatos; misc. crochet thread; Staedtler pen; Mr. Huey's mist and Heidi Swapp gold colour shine.

Thanks so much for visiting today!
Laura
xo

1 comment:

Julie Dionne said...

Beautiful! Love what you did with the gelato, great tip!